|The Low Moor Recreation and Boating company|
We found this information at the Public Record Office at Kew reference BT 31/3687/22922
It refers to a Boating Company which was set up in 1886.
Harold Park Low Moor was opened on 19th September 1885 by North Bierley Urban District Council which became part of Bradford Council in 1899. It had two lakes, one of which had boats for hire.. You can find more details on the website http://haroldpark.info/.
We have transcribed the shareholders names as written and it's obvious that some of them have been spelled differently in different years. The lists give hints of marriages, deaths and changes of addresses and we hope you find them useful.
The date photograph of the old landing stage is unknown but it seems to be Edwardian and could date from just before the Boating Company was dissolved in 1916.
THE LOW MOOR RECREATION
The Company was incorporated under the Companies Act as a Limited Company on 20 July 1886.
The capital of the Company was given as £300 divided in to 600 shares.
The objects of the company were established as including the acquisition of
• steam launches, pinnaces, gondolas or other pleasure steam boats, boats propelled by sails or oars, including outriggers, sculling boats, canoes and boats of like nature and all tools, utensils and fittings. These should be available for letting or hire. This is in accordance with an agreement between North Bierley Local Board of Health and the Company.
• articles and things necessary for playing the games of Cricket, Football, Lawn Tennis, Archery, Bowls or other lawful games.
• purchasing or renting/leasing land and buildings as necessary for the purpose of providing suitable grounds, spaces and buildings for the playing of such games.
• form and make such grounds in to suitable places for playing such games.
• erect any building or buildings in Harold Park, Low Moor, or elsewhere in the the County of York and to let any such buildings to acceptable tenants.
• buy and sell articles of food and drink and other refreshments.
The Registered Office was at the Hill Top branch of the Low Moor Coffee Tavern Company Limited, Low Moor. In February 1887, this was amended to Oxley Place School, Hill Top, due to the winding up of the Coffee Tavern Company.
At the time of Registering the Company the shareholders, all from Low Moor, were
The Secretary was Josiah Gill
The Annual Report for the AGM on 9 December 1892 shows the Directors as
Hanson Mallinson (Chairman) J Pearson J Boyes W Bryden
Solicitor H E P Ackroyd, Bradford
The report describes 'the season has been an especially unfavourable one in that we have had very wet weather'.
The Annual Report for the AGM on 15 December 1893 shows W H Arnold to be a Director, replacing J Barraclough. There are no other changes.
The report describes 'the season has been a most favourable one in that we have had very fine weather'.
Future Annual Reports show no further changes, with the exception of the Annual Report for the AGM on 19 December 1896 show M A Thornton as a Director, replacing A Thornton.
On 31 December 1897 an Extraordinary General Meeting passed that the Company should be wound up voluntarily. This was confirmed at a subsequent Extraordinary General Meeting on 18 January 1898. Hanson Mallinson, John Thomas Cliff and John William Lightowler were appointed as Liquidators. The final Winding Up meeting was held on 13 May 1898.