St Michaels & All Angels, Shelf ::
 
 

 

St michaels

 

St Michael and All Angel's, Shelf

 

St Michael and All Angel's Church in Shelf was built alongside the township boundary with North Bierley. It was almost entirely funded by John Hardy of Low Moor Iron Works and his son Charles Hardy laid the foundation stone on the 27th February 1849. The Church was consecrated on the 14th June 1850 and a school and vicarage were built later. A small extension was added to form the 'Church Room' in 1983. On the 1st April 1994 St Michael and All Angel's Shelf joined St Aidan's Buttershaw to become the Parish of Shelf with Buttershaw. (Steve can we have a click link here please – you won’t have made the page yet.)

SBLHA member Ben Stables has written a history of the Church which is available from the Church.

Rev. Andy Grieff, Team Vicar of Shelf with Buttershaw Parish, has kindly transcribed the graveyard plan and allowed us to share it here. It has been transcribed from a plan of the closed part of the yard which has now been deposited with WYAS Calderdale, held under reference BDP82/4/5/1.

Baptism, Burial and Marriage registers start in 1850. The records are held at WYAS Calderdale under the reference BDP82. Many of the gravestones have been cleared but they have been transcribed. We have done some cross referencing between the burial registers, graveyard plan and monuments. We have added some grave numbers into our transcript which are identified with an asterix (*) which we hope will be useful but should be treated with caution.

 

 

HOME