St Mary's, Wyke

St Mary's, Wyke

St Mary’s Wyke
Wyke was originally in the Parish of Birstall, in the Diocese of Ripon.  In 1844 the Ecclesiastical Commissioners formed Wyke into a church district in its own right and assigned an endowment to it.  The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin was built in 1847 and occupies a prominent position off Green Lane overlooking the valley towards Norwood Green, Lightcliffe and Hipperholme.  A National School and Vicarage were built nearby in 1850.

In 1993 a new Church Hall with kitchen and toilets were added.  St Mary’s is now part of the Parish of South Bradford.

The grave yard in the immediate vicinity of the church has been cleared of most monuments, in one part to make way for a car park.  Some gravestones have been used to make paths.  The yard to south of the church is still in place.  Blackburn visited in 1929 and his monumental inscriptions appear on the site.

Baptisms start in 1844 and burials in 1847