School St. Primitive Methodist Church, Low Moor

 
Primitive Methodists
There has been a Primitive Methodist presence in Low Moor since the 1830’s. In 1841 the “Ranter’s Chapel” is given as a landmark in the description of Enumeration District no. 5 in the census. It appears to be in the vicinity of what is now Hill Top School on Common Road and it is possible it was the building later used for the first school at Hill Top. By the 1850’s there were premises in School Street. These were replaced in 1870 by a purpose built church adjoining the old one, which was converted into cottages. In 1947 the frontage of the building collapsed so Wesley Place Church offered its Sunday School premises at Oxley Place, School Street for their use. From this time onwards the society was known as Oxley Place Methodist Church. The unsafe building at the other end of School Street was later converted for industrial use, before being demolished along with most of the rest of Hill Top in the 1970’s.
Baptisms date from 1842. The entries for the years 1842 to 1870, when the new church was erected, seem to have all been copied into the register at the same time, probably from a Circuit Baptism Register which no longer exists.
There is no graveyard. It is known that some Primitive Methodists had graves at Wesley Place. They also used Holy Trinity for burials and later North Bierley Cemetery.

 

 

HOME