South Bradford Local History Alliance is made up of

  • Low Moor Local History Group
  • Wibsey Local History Group
  • Wyke Local History Group

We want to make records of the area more readily available through our publications and this website.

Although in the past in different parishes and townships, the areas covered by the three history groups have something in common – The Low Moor Company.
Before the ironworks opened in 1791 this area was moorland and scattered farms. A new community – Low Moor, sprang up around the works, and soon the villages of Wibsey and Wyke grew in size. Mills and other industries followed and now the area is largely built up. 

Although the Low Moor Company is long since closed other industries have grown on the site of its dross hills. The moor may have gone but there are still fields and woods in South Bradford.  We have the best of both worlds.

 

Wibsey and Low Moor were in the township of North Bierley. They were originally in the Parish of Bradford and later the Parish of Wibsey. During the 19th century Wibsey was spilt between the parishes of Holy Trinity, St Marks and St Paul’s. 

 

Wyke was a Township in the Parish of Birstall before becoming a parish in its own right. 

Nowadays parish boundaries have changed again – Holy Trinity, St Mary’s Wyke and St Andrews, Oakenshaw comprise the new parish of South Bradford. St Paul’s Buttershaw remains a parish in it's own right.

More detailed information about the groups and their activities can be found using the above links.

 

HOME