North Bierley Planning Book::
Notes for the Register of Building Plans for North Bierley
Bradford Office of the West Yorkshire Archives
North Bierley was a township within the parish of Bradford.
It had offices at Hardy Street, Wibsey from 1866, later moving to premises off Holroyd Hill opposite the top of Wibsey Bank.
It became a part of the borough of Bradford in 1899.
During the “lifetime” of this book, Wyke although in Birstall parish, came into the township Parts of Bailiff Bridge are also included. With boundary changes they went into Clifton when North Bierley became part of Bradford.
Some entries are marked “Out of City” which is puzzling, as Bradford was not a city at that time.
We have transcribed what we saw in the book, even if it sometimes looked incorrect. The exceptions are
In the “remarks” column, if it says “line” then a line was drawn across the column. Many of the entries in this column are in pencil and VERY difficult to make out. Some entries are annotated “Petts” – we think he was one of the planning inspectors.
Many of the plans for the years 1866 to 1882 may be consulted at the Bradford Office of the West Yorkshire Archives. The rest are lost.
Please note that the column “Area” has been added by us. We have inserted abbreviations (see below) to help search for locations. We did this mainly for ease of use for researchers in Low Moor and Wibsey Local History Societies. Please bear in mind we may have identified some places incorrectly and the areas used are only a guide to where the location may have been.