Witchfield Wesleyan, Shelf

 
Witchfield Wesleyan

Witchfield Wesleyan, Shelf

 

Witchfield Wesleyan Chapel stood at the junction of Shelf Moor Road and Halifax Road in Shelf. It grew from meetings which were held in the Witchfield area as early as 1769. The church was opened towards the “close of the year” in 1785 and was later extended to form a vestry and Sunday school. In 1878 the old church was demolished and a Sunday school building was built on its site, opening on the 17th October. A new imposing Gothic style church was built next to this and was opened in 1887. This building lasted less than a hundred years and was sold in September 1979 when the members decamped to the Sunday school next door. Various problems with the Sunday school building were discovered including dry rot and cracks in the walls and this was closed and demolished in 1981 marking the end of Methodism at Witchfield.
Over the years a number of Baptism Registers were in use at Witchfield. The letter in the first column headed 'Reg' is explained here.
The Burial Registers, Grave books and Memorial Inscriptions have been transcribed and published by the Bradford Family History Society and are available on their CD ‘Great Horton Methodist Circuit.’ https://www.bradfordfhs.org.uk/parish-cds


 

HOME